6 Steps to Successful Goal Setting
I always love each New Year as it approaches. It gives me time to reflect on my past, be grateful for my blessings, and launch into a new year full of promise and possibility. It has been said that “fate is always on the side of those who fearlessly fling themselves in the direction of their goals.” Those of you who have been associated with me for some time already know that I am big on goal setting. Years ago, my first business mentor told me to read the book “Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill. The book was first published in 1937 and was meant to be a success guide based on the lives of the business titans of that era. Contributors included Andrew Carnegie, Thomas Edison, and Henry Ford to name just a few. The idea being that there are certain behaviors common to very successful people which allow them to rise far above average accomplishment.
On page 36, there is a formula given for setting goals that I have used ever since that first reading:
- Decide exactly what you want. Your definite chief aim. Your magnificent obsession. Someone once said that compelling goals should be big enough to scare you and excite you at the same time.
- Decide the price you are willing to pay. There is no such thing as something for nothing- right?
- Create your initial game plan. Get started now. General George Patton said, “A good plan executed today is always superior to a perfect plan executed next week.”
- Establish reasonable time lines. Deadlines are necessary to create a sense of urgency.
- Write everything down. An unwritten goal is merely a wish.
- Repeat aloud your stated goal and plan twice a day.
I hope this helps us all assume more of our potential to be and to do! God Bless all of you in having your best year ever in 2017!